Get Married in the UK on Fiance Visa, Marriage Visitor Visa

Give Notice to Get Married in UK- the Procedure to Give Notice of Marriage in the UK, Required Documents & Required Information

Introduction of Getting Married in UK as a Foreign National

Non-EU nationals (and EU Citizens from 1 July 2021) who want to come to UK and get married should have a valid visa which allows marriage in the UK. The marriage visitor visa, unmarried partner and fiance Visa allows immigrants to get married in UK. Besides these visa, long term categories in general allows to get married in the UK. For example, a person as an unmarried partner on 2.5 years leave can also get married in UK. A notice of intend to get married in UK is a legal requirement and fee also need to be paid. Normally 28 days notice is required if non-British Citizen partner is from EU or UK. For the rest of the countries, notice period can be extended up to 70 days. A set procedure has to be followed for the whole process which includes arranging a meeting with the registrar to give notice of marriage, booking a licensed venue of wedding or at registrar office. You will also need to provide evidence of identity such as original passport, driving licence, EU ID card, birth certificate and proof of address. All Documents must be original. A lot of people ask the question that ‘Can I get married in UK on a visitor visa?’. The answer is that on a standard UK Visit Visa, one can not get married in the UK. If you already in the UK on a Spouse Visa, you can apply for visa extension, we have 100% success rate for spouse visa extension applications since 2006. Please contact us if you need help or support.

Procedure- 4 Step Process

The process involves four main steps which are given below-

Step 1- Book Venue- Make Provisional Booking
Step 2- Get Appointment with Council Registrar- Give notice
Step 3- Get Married
Step 4- Get Marriage Registration Certificate

Our Success Rate for Visas, Immigration & Naturalisation Applications

Our Top Services- Types of Immigration ApplicationsBook Full Application Service Success RateYears
Spouse Visa Extension/ Switch ApplicationsAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
Fiance Visa ApplicationsAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
Fee Waiver ApplicationsAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
Parent Route Visa Extension -FLRAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
Naturalisation (British Citizenship Applications)Add to Basket100%2006 to date
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)Add to Basket100%2006 to date
Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2 General)Add to Basket100%2006 to date
Dependent Children- Leave to Enter & Visa ExtensionAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
Dependent Children- Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE)Add to Basket100%2006 to date
Employer Sponsor LicenceAdd to Basket100%2006 to date
See latest Home Office Visa Approvals for our clients around the world.

Getting married in Stoke-on-Trent Council- Council’s Registrar Contact Details

Stoke-on-Trent City Council


Contact Number- +441782235260

Address- Register office

Civic Centre, Glebe Street

Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 1HH, United Kingdom

Giving Notice to the Local Council 

You must sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is known as ‘giving notice’.

Notice Period & Fee

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony.

Fees for giving notice £35 per person

For example, if you give notice on 1 May, the earliest date you can get married or form a civil partnership is 30 May. You must hold your ceremony within 12 months of ‘giving notice’.

How to Book an Appointment to Give Notice

Call the Registrar (Contact details above) or use the link below to make a request for an Appointment to give notice.

List of Documents Required for Marriage in the UK

All documents must be original.

  • Venue for the Marriage (register office or approved premises). You can book venue in any part of England and Wales. List of Venues in Stoke-on-Trent, List of Venues in England and Wales
  • Divorce Certificate (if previously married) with English Translation. (A decree absolute of divorce bearing the court’s original stamp)
  • Full birth certificate
  • Passport of both partners
  • EU ID Card
  • Proof of Address of both partners (Guidance below for Proof of Address)

Proving your address

Need One Document from the list-

  • Valid UK, EU, EEA or Swiss driving licence showing current address
  • Gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
  • Bank or building society statement from the last month
  • Council Tax bill from the last 12 months
  • Mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • Current tenancy agreement
  • Letter from your landlord (dated within the last 7 days) confirming you live there and including your landlord’s name, address and their signature

Any questions or need any clarifications, please contact us.

You might be interested in:

Shopping Basket
Scroll to Top